The Super Bowl

This weekend is perhaps the most exciting weekend in the NFL schedule. Yes, even more exciting than Super Bowl weekend. On Sunday the AFC and NFC Championships will be fought out between the Colts and the Patriots (AFC) and the Bears and the Saints (NFC). Personally, I'm rooting for a Colts-Bears Super Bowl with the Colts taking the big trophy.

I don't know as much about sports as some people do, but here's my logic for wanting them to win, anyway...

First, I'm just an AFC guy. I grew up near Pittsburgh and am a Steelers fan, by default if for no other reason. I never will support any other team as long as I live, unless the Steelers leave the 'Burgh. So, naturally, I'm partial to the AFC. If I'd grown up near Philly, I'd probably be an NFC guy. It's just like in baseball, in which I've always been partial to the National League because of the Pirates. If the Colts don't get in, I'll root for the Pats.

Second, Peyton Manning and the Colts are just plain due. This will be the third meeting between the two teams in the playoffs in four years. Both of the past two times, the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl...mind you, the Patriots have won three of the past FIVE Super Bowls. For this reason alone, I hope the Patriots go down. I've even suspended my hate of the Colts for this game. Manning, the Wonderboy, has been expected to get to the big bowl since 2004. Even back then his offense was touted as "the most potent offense in history," or some such meaningless fiddle-faddle. In other words; It is high time for the Colts to "Mann"-up, beat the Pats and win the Super Bowl.

The Colts finally have this game at home, in Indianapolis, as opposed to Gillette Stadium, where the groundskeepers reportedly ice the field on the day and night prior to big games. Indy fans will be going nuts, filling that half-dome or whatever it is they have out there with a racuous, villanous noise that will, at the very least, rattle the already shaky Patriots. The Pats, by the way, slid into this game by the skin of their teeth. They played an atrocious game against the Chargers and only narrowly avoided overtime because San Diego kicker Nate Kaeding had to practically run off the bench and kick a 35+ yard field goal without even stopping to set up. It was close. Both teams played like crap. If the Pats play like that on Sunday they will be a statistic, and sports announcers and hack sportswriters will have to spend next year saying, "the Patriots, who have won three of the past SIX Super Bowls," but it just won't sound as crisp. The dynasty will be officially dead, instead of just dead.

For more, and more detailed, information on these matchups, visit www.sportsaskew.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular Posts