An Un-Inspiring Garnacha

Tapena
Garnacha (Grenache)
Castilla, Spain
2005

This 100% Garnacha--or Grenache, as the French say--cost about $7.99 at the wine shop. In a word, it was uninspiring; with nothing either very pleasing or very displeasing about it.

The wine has very little aroma to it and starts off very soft on the palate, so soft and clear, in fact, that it almost tastes like water for a moment. In that sense, the wine starts off a bit disappointing, but doesn' t offer much to make up for it later. There are some decently strong notes of cherry and other berry fruit, but they do not linger long on the tongue or in the nose. The most notable feature of this wine is its satisfying dryness which lingers in the back of the throat.

This wine would go well with just about any food, precisely because it is so innocuous. This could also easily be drunk without food, also because it is so unobtrusive. However, since there is not much to grab on to here, it may be a bit too boring even for that.

The bottle was open for about an hour while my friend and I drank it, and toward the end it became increasingly thin and "jammy" (if I'm using that term correctly); almost as if it had been out for a day, rather than an hour.

I rarely meet a wine I don't like at all and I can't say I didn't like this, it just didn't impress me. I wouldn't buy it again.

Comments

Popular Posts