What's With This Big Brown Business??

News from the U.S. doesn't reach me easily or often. Yes, I understand there is literally no excuse for that, given things like the "newspapers" and "the Internet," but still, it's surprising how easy it is to avoid all that business when you really try.

None the less, I've been hearing a lot about this horse called Big Brown, probably because he won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes this month and could be first Triple Crown Winner in 30 years. Well, I did about five minutes of research on him; watched replays of the races on ESPN.com.

I was impressed with both races, but there is no way I'm buying into the whole, "This is the One" hype. It's just a roller-coaster I don't feel like riding right now. In my recent past as a Triple Crown vulture, I've ridden that roller-coaster with War Emblem, Funny Cide, Smarty Jones, even got my heart broken by Barbaro like so many others. Every time there was a Triple Crown at stake, I dutifully went to Belmont Park for the race and cheered my guts out.

So, because of all that, and because I'm out of the country, I'm just going to calmly register my prediction that this horse IS NOT GOING TO WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN. Not only because it just can't happen, but because it can't happen while I'm out of the country. I won't allow it, by God!!

For a semi-devoted sports fan such as myself, this is some of the worst torture I've ever had to endure; wanting this horse to make history, and yet feeling the ugly taste of jealous bile creeping up in the back of my throat. It is a strange position in which to find oneself.

Naturally, this whole thing is bigger than me, and I recognize that. All the same, if this horse wins the Triple Crown in New York six weeks after I leave, it will be hard to choke back the tears. I don't know if I'll be able to deal with that like a rational individual. I might totally denounce the sport of horse racing...I DON'T KNOW!

I'm rambling now, so I'll leave you. But just know what a pain in my heart it is not to be around the hype, the buzz, and not even to be able to have the OPTION of attending the race. Who knows, I might not even be able to watch it on T.V.

Comments

Popular Posts