Senate Debate Rages...and Boxer Hits Hard

In case you missed it -- and you probably did, because you probably have a life -- there was a great debate today on the Senate floor about the latest iteration of the stimulus bill. Sens. John Kerry (D-Mass.) and Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) were among the speakers from the Democratic Party.

They both made excellent points, but I think Boxer made the most effective speech. I've heard of her off and on throughout the years, but after today I'm going to pay closer attention. Something about her comments just grabbed me.

She said, basically, that for the past eight years the Republicans have been willing to approve trillions of dollars in spending on Iraq and Afghanistan, but now they are balking at spending $800 or so odd billion to help stimulate the economy. Now that it's time to spend money domestically, they are preaching fiscal responsibility.

It's a great point, perhaps the best point I've heard anyone make regarding this bill. Still, it doesn't change anything in the actual bill, and I'm not 100% happy with it, myself. I don't think there are enough atual, direct measures that will help people immediately after the bill is passed.
I'm not sure how they could do that, but that's not my job...

Comments

Popular Posts