Indianapolis...Where you can actually get a seat in a Starbucks

I've made it out here to Indianapolis, a city that---until 36 hours ago---I knew next to nothing about. Well, I still know next to nothing about it, except whatever my keen reporter's instincts have helped me to glean from a few locals and a brief drive downtown.

The nice thing about living in a midwestern city is having SPACE. I cut my teeth in New York City. Other than brief stints in Montreal and Buenos Aires, NYC is the only major city I've lived in. So I'm used to living in a chicken coop, riding to work in a moving metal chicken coop, and working in a chicken coop hundreds of feet above the ground. I'm used to moving fast, knocking people around, getting knocked around, always running behind the clock...that's what city life means for me.

Not any more. This is a city (granted it's 1/10 the size of NYC) and you can still keep your personal space. What's more you can actually get a seat...a whole TABLE...in Starbucks!! I lived in NYC for five years and never once got a seat in a Starbucks. Not joking. But here in Indianapolis, I waltz right in, grab my coffee, and choose from a number of various seating options. Do I want to sit by the window? Do I want to sit in a comfy chair, or a regular chair and table? The options are astounding... No longer do I have to go into the Starbucks, frantically search for a seat, realize there are none, and then wait in a 20 minute line to get my coffee, and then drink it outside. No, far from it. This, my friends, is living...

Comments

Popular Posts