Skip to main content

2009: A Bad Year to be a Celebrity, Closing the Door on an Ugly Decade in American History

Is it just me or was 2009 a particularly bad year to be a celebrity?

It seems like more than a few of them met an untimely end. Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett, Natasha Richardson, Steve McNair, Billy Mays, and now Brittany Murphy. Were any of them over the age of 60? And that's not to mention the ones who, let's face it, were getting on a bit in years: John Updike, Bea Arthur, Ted Kennedy, Ed McMahon, Dom DeLuise, Jack Kemp. I know I've left somebody out.

Then of course you got your Bombshell Sex Scandals, like what Tiger Woods and Dave Letterman found themselves involved in this year. I don't even OWN A T.V. and still these things popped up on my radar screen.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to be glad to see 2009 go. The financial crisis didn't improve so much as it just failed to get worse after a certain point. You or at least someone you know lost a job this year. Obama seemed to have stemmed the blood flow early on with the stimulus, but it remains to be seen whether it'll get any better any time soon. Public Healthcare was basically defeated in Congress. Swine Flu raged. Wars went on in Iraq and Afghanistan, and we're now sending more troops to Afghanistan. Yowza! Need I continue? I don't really want to.

I'm not gonna draw any vast conclusions such as: The End of the World is Coming. But I think it's safe to say, we as a nation are at an entirely different place than we were on the eve of 2000, ten years ago. But then again, considering what followed (Tech Bubble, Sept. 11, Afghanistan & Iraq Wars, Financial Crisis), maybe that's okay. Maybe the '10s are going to be better than the '00s. In fact, I sure as hell hope so. I think the '00s started pretty well, but are going to be remembered, perhaps as the worst decade in American history. Or, if not the worst, then one of the ugliest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Yorker Fiction Review #146: "Three Short Moments in a Long Life" by John L'Heureux

Issue: May 9, 2016

Story: "Three Short Moments in a Long Life" by John L'Heureux

Rating: $

Review: I feel like this is a somewhat tired technique, straight out of Creative Writing 101: write a story consisting of three or four different snapshots or snippets out of a character's life at different ages, sort of like a series of written photographs. Fun perhaps, but strikes me as a bit amateurish. However, I also think L'Heureux succeeds here by pushing it a bit further, playing with the character's tentative attempts at something close to faith -- in childish, adult, and mature adult ways -- and tying all three "Short Moments" together in a subtle and readily decipherable way.

L'Heureux's prose and his frank humor and his ability to glorify and find the meaning in the mundane events and thoughts of every day life, and thereby turn the life of an ordinary person into a drama with meaning and significance puts me in mind of John Irving. As well a…

New Yorker Fiction Review #151: "The Bog Girl" by Karen Russell

From the June 20 issue...

My loyal readers (if there are still any, which I doubt) will know I'm usually not a fan of Magical Realism, which, as you may also know, is Karen Russell's stock in trade. That said, there's nothing I love more than having my antipathy for magical realism shattered by an awesome story like "The Bog Girl."

Briefly, an Irish teenager discovers the body of a young woman who as been buried in a bog for over 2,000 years and begins to date her. What more do you need, right? If I'd read that one-line description somewhere else, and wasn't on a mission to review every New Yorker short story, I doubt I'd have read "The Bog Girl." But maybe I should start doing a George Costanza and do the opposite of everything I think I should do.

Where Russell succeeds here is in two main areas: 1.) Making us really love Cillian, the teenager who falls in love with the bog girl, and 2.) pulling the unbelievable trick making the characters…

Water Review: San Pellegrino 250ml Bottle

Damn you, tiny little bottle of San Pellegrino. So little. So cute. But what are you really good for other than to make me wish I had a full bottle of Pellegrino? 
Good as a palate cleanser after a nice double espresso, I will give it that. But little else. The suave yet chaotic burst of Pellegrino bubbliness is still there, but with each sip you feel the tragedy of being that much closer to the end of the bottle, that much faster.

This is a bottle of water made specifically for the frustrated, for the meticulous, for the measurers among us with a penchant for the dainty. This water does not love you in the wild, on a sunny porch or with the raucous laughter of friends. No...much the opposite. Whatever that may be.

Best drunk in tiny, tiny sips, while forcing oneself through an unreadable and depressing Russian novel one does not want to read but feels one should, on a cold, wet day in December that promises four months of gloom and depression...or in pairs or threes and poured over …