I am an Olympics junkie...

So once again, the Olympics have come and almost gone. But we've still got one more weekend of competition, so I'm settling in to savor the next 48 hours, because I'm an Olympics junkie. Winter Olympics, Summer Olympics, I don't care. For two weeks I the T.V. running non-stop.

The Olympics are the time when I get to care about sports that I've totally forgotten about for the past four years; such as curling, skeleton, figure skating, skiing, luge, and the list goes on and on.

So I've come up with a little list of what I like about the Olympics:

What I like:

1.) Opening Ceremonies, The Procession of the Nations
This is the time when you get to see all of the hotties from around the world in one place, on parade. I mean, think about it: the average age of these Olympic athletes is around 24-26, they are physically fit and they are the best athletes from around the world. Think there are going to be some goodlooking people in that crew? Ahhhh...yes. As far as looks, I've got to say I'm partial to the Danes, the Finns, and basically all the Scandinavians, as well as the Israelis and the Italians. And, of course, the American girls are always the best looking; for 250 years the most adventurous people from all around the world have been coming to this continent to get it on. The results speak for themselves.

2.) Nation vs. Nation in a harmless way
I'm not some kind of chest-beating nationalist, but I love seeing the nations battle it out on the sporting stage. Not only was it great to see powers like the U.S.A. and the Soviet Union -- who actually fought each other in real life -- battling it out in proxy wars on the ice or the ski slopes, I also love to see nations compete who normally would have no beef with each other; Canada vs. Sweden, Venezuela vs. Italy, India vs. South Africa. They're like miniature wars without violence or bloodshed!

3.) The Drama...oh, the drama
Every Olympics has its share of inspiring story lines and, of course, the dramas. This year it was between two figure skaters Russian Victor Plushenko and American Evan Lysechek, about who deserved to win the gold medal. Then you've got American hotties Lindsay Vonn and Julia Mancuso trading barbs about who is taking over the spotlight. Though I haven't cared about figure skating or skiing for the past 3.95 years of my life, I hang on the T.V. screen for every additional word exchanged between these people, as if it's going to have any effect on my life at all. HOWEVER: this year the Olympic "Drama" seems to have supplanted the "Feel Good Story." In fact, there weren't many Feel Good stories in the Summer Olympics, either. What is happening to the Feel Good Story? What about the one-legged luger who is recovering from his second bout with cancer, and his lifelong struggle with dyslexia, and made his way from a small town in Slovakia to his fourth attempt at Olympic glory, after failing to win a medal for the past 16 years? What about him??? This could be his last chance!!! Oh hell...

Comments

Popular Posts