The Pork Tenderloin Sandwich: An Indiana Classic

One of the joys of living in Indiana (and these are manifold) is the infamous Pork Tenderloin Sandwich. No...I did not say plain old pork tenderloin...which is a short, tubular thing that you roast and slice up--and which is also great--I said pork tenderloin sandwich. It's basically a piece of pork that is pounded until it's razor-thin (sometimes even thinner. I ate one once that was one pork-molecule thick), then breaded, fried, and eaten on a bun.

I used to turn up my nose at these things for some reason, but then I actually stepped off my high horse and tried one. Amazing. I've eaten the pork tenderloin sandwich at at least a half-dozen locations now and it's become one of the simple pleasures of my life.

I need not describe how it tastes: it's a razor-thin peice of breaded pork on a bun. You get the idea. The only thing is, I've NEVER encountered one of these things outside Indiana. In fact, anywhere else I've ever tried to order a pork tenderloin sandwich, they've looked at me like I was from Mars. Why is it only an Indiana thing? Who knows. It's not like they don't have pork and bread-crumbs in Ohio...they just don't have pork tenderloin sandwiches there.

So, when and if you ever make your way to Indiana--the crossroads of America--get yourself a pork tenderloin sandwich. I recommend the sandwich at the Alley Cat.

Comments

Popular Posts