Rocky Balboa and the Butler Bulldogs

So the Butler Bulldogs once again snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in another David vs. Goliath match up. If you're looking for serious basketball commentary, forget it. I'm officially a Fair Weather fan. The first Butler game I watched this year was during the tournament. BUT...that doesn't mean I can't see the glaring parallels between my favorite college basketball team and my favorite fictional character: Rocky Balboa.

The Butler Bulldogs and Rocky Balboa have a lot in common. They're tough, scrappy, and they don't give up. They're always the underdog but somehow, through sheer determination and grit, they come out on top.

I mean, time and time again Rocky Balboa came into the fight expected to be OBLITERATED. I mean, that was the plot of Rocky's I, II, and IV. The only one that broke the trend was Rocky III...in which Rocky made the cardinal sin of forgetting his roots, and therefore got clobbered by Clubber Lang. He only succeeded by getting gritty again; by adopting a more rustic training regime than Creed's and re-gaining the "Eye of the Tiger."

So, it's obvious I know a lot more about Rocky movies than basketball. But what I know from my two seasons of (somewhat interested) Butler fandom is this....you can NEVER count them out.

That said, I really hope we have to play Virginia Commonwealth University (who?) next week instead of the Kansas Jayhawks.

Comments

Popular Posts