My "Mad Men" Obsession

Over the past two weeks I've become obsessed with AMC's Mad Men. Yes. I, Grant Catton, a man who ever since Seinfeld went off the air has eschewed cable T.V. with a vigor only reserved for ardent pseudo-intellectuals, have now become obsessed with a T.V. show. I'm gonna go so far as to say that good T.V. is a form of "literature." This might make some of you gasp, but I've come to this revelation after realizing that a good, well-written, complex & long-running T.V. serial can yield as much for the mind and imagination as can a great book.

I do not say this lightly; only after years of turning a haughty blind eye to television have I been able to come back and embrace it with such glee (no pun intended). Therefore, you can take my recommendation seriously: watch this show. I'm desperately trying to get caught up so I can a.) start watching the current season, and b.) start reading this book of essays on the T.V. series that I just bought and which contains many spoilers up until mid season 3 I think.

Anyway...expect more posts on the awesomeness that is Mad Men. The only reason I haven't written more about it so far is because I've been watching it like a crazed junkie & haven't even had time to properly digest it yet.








Comments

Popular Posts