Homeade Mango-Mulberry Sorbet

So, last week I was jogging and I saw what looked like a blackberry tree in a relatively accessible location. I stopped and tried some of the berries. They didn't make me want to puke. So on Friday evening I went back with a shopping bag and collected about a pound or so from the tree, perching myself along a nearby brick wall with, some might say, a sense of bravery inconsistent with my agility. No, I did not fall. Sorry. This story would be a WHOLE LOT FUNNIER (or more tragic) if I had.

Instead, I got home and -- upon a quick internet search -- realized that what I had were mulberries and not blackberries. Blackberries, I suddenly remembered, grow on thorny bushes and not trees. Mulberries are a little bit longer and thinner than blackberries, and not as sweet, but still pleasant tasting.

I also had six or so mangos in my fridge, which my Mom had given me a week or so before. My mango consumption cannot hope to keep with that number of mangos; I generally find mangos to be a time-consuming pain-in-the-ass (sorry Mom). So decided to re-purpose them and make mango-mulberry sorbet. Lo and behold, it worked. It's not complicated: basically you throw everything in the blender, puree it up, freeze it, garnish with a lime & enjoy.

What I'm most proud of is the mulberry picking part. In an age when we're so disconnected from our food (eating a cow from Iowa, fed by corn grown in Oklahoma, with fertilizer from god knows where), it's really satisfying to pick and eat something that I found growing less than a mile from where I live. It's not an opportunity I get every day, probably because I just don't know what to look for. But it's something I plan to do more of, assuming I can find things to eat that won't make me sick.

This man's natural culinary adventures, to be continued....

Comments

Popular Posts