Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisk'o

I've heard about Basil Hayden's for years, but somehow just never managed to buy myself a bottle. I was too busy to try the BEST, that's why.

Okay, okay sure...I'm an admitted bon vivant and I love my whiskey. Therefore, every bottle that's right in front of me is the "best I've ever had!!" Last week it was Bulleit. Two weeks ago it was Woodford Reserve.This week it's Basil Hayden's BUT...let that not invalidate the seriousness of what I'm about to impart to you.

If you're an enthusiast of the whiskey-type beverages, you must try Basil Hayden's Small Batch, Eight-year old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. This shit is so smooth you'll wish it came out of your tap instead of water. You'll be tempted to drink a shot of it at breakfast, with your bacon & eggs. You'll wish your only job in life was to sit on the porch and sip glasses of this shiz. You could do that, of course, but then you really would have no job and therefore have no money to buy any more of this beautiful amber nectar.

Anyway...though a great drinker, I'm a bit of an amateur "taster"...for that you'll have to contact my esteemed colleague Andrew Soliday, who has an endless reserve of opinions on such of the finer things in life. But, here's my attempt:

This is definitely a sweeter bourbon, but it is extremely well-balanced and has a nice hot oaky "bite" to it without making you need to shake your head and go "WOOOOOO!!!" afterward. Although, sometimes that's good, too! For a sipping bourbon, this stuff--in my opinion--sets the bar. It has that smooth, glassy quality about it that makes you want to roll it around a bit before you swallow. And...a slight hint of something extra...some spice, maybe a bit of rye, with a pleasing hint of butterscotch in there too. Really, a very complex but in every way smooth and easy-drinking bourbon. Too goddamned easy drinking, if you ask me. Best enjoyed neat...as all fine whiskey should be enjoyed.

So go out and buy some, it'll make you smile. There's a million worse ways to spend $30...trust me. 

Comments

Popular Posts