Skip to main content

New Yorker Fiction Review: "Action" by Paul Theroux

Issue: August 4, 2014

Story: "Action"

Author: Paul Theroux

Review: I am fantastically un-enthused by this offering from Paul Theroux, which is a bit of a bummer cause I usually like his stories with their exotic locations and undertones of darkness and sexuality. Not only was this story not that engaging, but it seemed like half a story and the resolution was just a complete let-down.

The plot...a sheltered, working-class kid in mid-20th century Boston has an older and more mischievous friend who introduces him to his girlfriend, who may or may not be a prostitute. One day the sheltered kid goes back to visit the sort-of prostitute and gets roughed up by one of her male callers. He returns to his father, who seems to know that his son has been up to no good.

Hey...it seems like an okay premise for a story. But somehow Theroux manages to prevent any real emotion or suspense from seeping in here. The depiction of the boy's over-bearing father was lukewarm, and only got slightly interesting when the boy runs into a woman who may or may not have had a thing with (or for) his dad. In the hands of someone better adept at depicting the inner emotions of a child, this might have been a neat coming-of-age story; however, Paul Theroux is not great at mapping the inner life of children and adolescents, at least not to my experience. He is really good at mapping the inner emotions, desires, and conflicts of adults...and that's what he should stick to, in my opinion. But whatever.

Just seemed a bit under-wrought, to me, a failing which is usually the problem when you read a lukewarm story by a famous writer in the NYer; they just seem under-cooked and under developed, not bad per se.

You can just imagine a bleary-eyed Paul Theroux sitting at his type-writer (in an age when we still used type-writers) while the New Yorker fiction editor stands in front of him, doing that "I've gotta pee" dance, his hand over Theroux's typewriter, ready to snatch away the last page of the story and send it to print. All while Theroux is sitting there grumbling "Alright, alright, alright already..." and lamenting the day he ever signed a contract to write three (or however many) stories for the NYer per year.

Seems like maybe an unfinished piece of a longer novel? Maybe a snippet from Theroux's life? I suppose it might have been okay if I knew a bit more going into this, but...eff that...a story should stand on it's own, right? As is, I was un-impressed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Yorker Fiction Review #151: "The Bog Girl" by Karen Russell

From the June 20 issue...

My loyal readers (if there are still any, which I doubt) will know I'm usually not a fan of Magical Realism, which, as you may also know, is Karen Russell's stock in trade. That said, there's nothing I love more than having my antipathy for magical realism shattered by an awesome story like "The Bog Girl."

Briefly, an Irish teenager discovers the body of a young woman who as been buried in a bog for over 2,000 years and begins to date her. What more do you need, right? If I'd read that one-line description somewhere else, and wasn't on a mission to review every New Yorker short story, I doubt I'd have read "The Bog Girl." But maybe I should start doing a George Costanza and do the opposite of everything I think I should do.

Where Russell succeeds here is in two main areas: 1.) Making us really love Cillian, the teenager who falls in love with the bog girl, and 2.) pulling the unbelievable trick making the characters…

Holiday Q&A, Volume 1

These questions come to us from Grace. Thanks for sending your questions!! Answers below:
What is the most thrilling mystery you have read and/or watched?
The Eiger Sanction (book and film) by Trevanian is what's coming to mind. International espionage. Mountain-climbing assassins. Evil albino masterminds. Sex. Not a bad combination. Warning, this is completely a "guy" movie, and the film (feat. Clint Eastwood) is priceless 70s action movie cheese. But in case that's your thing...
What's the deal with Narcos?
Narcos is a Netflix show about the rise and fall (but mostly the fall) of Columbian cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar. Thus far there are two seasons of 10 episodes each. RIYL: The film Blow, starring Johnny Depp; the book Zombie City, by Thomas Katz; the movie Goodfellas; true crime; anything involving the drug trade. My brief review: Season 1 started out a bit slow and I know a bunch of people who never made it past the first few episodes. Some of the acting is a…

A Piece of Advice I Learned From My Grandfather

My grandfather was one of the most learned men I know. He read widely and voraciously, and not just in the sciences (he was a doctor); he loved politics, philosophy, and great literature as well. Whenever he finished a book he would write his thoughts about the book in the front cover and then sign and date it. To this day every once in a while I will open a book from my bookshelf or my mother's bookshelf, or at one of my family members' homes, and there will be my grandfather's handwriting. He was also a great giver of his books; if you remarked that you liked a particular one or wanted to read it, you were almost sure to take it home with you.

Reading is a very solitary pursuit but my grandfather was not a solitary person. He relished having family and friends around him which is convenient because he was blessed with a lot of both. And he carried out his intellectual life in a very "public" way as well. He was, in some ways, an intellectual evangelist. If he r…