Skip to main content

Alan Pardew: In the wolf's mouth...

I'll tell you the full story sometime, but...somehow early in the English Premier League season I committed the woeful blunder of becoming attached to the Newcastle United Football Club, a miniature obsession that has already caused me nothing but pain and frustration and--like the underdog-loving, guilt-ridden, glutton-for-punishment that I am--the more pain and frustration the club cause me the more steely becomes my resolve to keep rooting for them.

In five games, they've lost two and drawn three. Not a single win to their credit as yet, and with a -6 goal differential, they're even positioned below Burnely FC, who've only managed a single goal in five games. At least I was treated to a three goal fist-clencher against Crystal Palace a few weeks ago and a 2-2 draw today with Hull City....so unlike Burnley supporters, I at least know my club can be coaxed to rise to the occasion with a few goals, but shit...

The Magpies finished 10th in the league last year and if all continues steady as she goes, will be lucky to avoid relegation; a failure that would just be too hard to swallow in my first year of following EPL. But I didn't pick these guys cause they were "good" or because they were expected to win the league. I picked them for other reasons, which I'll explain some other time.

Alan Pardew: Staring into the abyss...
As to the drama part: Newcastle United supporters really, really hate the club's manager, Alan Pardew. In fact there's a whole "Sack Pardew" campaign going on in Newcastle, complete with a website and a grass-roots organizational structure that would give the Democratic Party a run for it's money. Everywhere today in St. James' Park, Newcastle, there were "Sack Pardew" posters and banners and a really palpable sense of tension in the air as Pardew gave pre-game interviews and even when he stepped on the field. However, he did the classy thing and "clapped-up" the crowd when he walked onto the pitch, showing that either he a.) is not affected by the scorn campaign, or b.) is determined to rise above it. Probably B is my guess.

Anyway, this my friends is what you call Narrative. This is real-life drama you couldn't script any better if you tried. A middling club with a bunch of young players, representing a hard-scrabble town in northern England has slipped from the middle to the bottom of the league in a matter of a month, and their fans want blood...the Manager's. Will the team emerge from the pressure hardened and brilliant, like a diamond? Or will it fray and tear at the seams, crack under pressure until the ownership does, indeed, sack Pardew? 

I don't care if they score a lot of goals or not, this is enough for me to tune in every week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Yorker Fiction Review #151: "The Bog Girl" by Karen Russell

From the June 20 issue...

My loyal readers (if there are still any, which I doubt) will know I'm usually not a fan of Magical Realism, which, as you may also know, is Karen Russell's stock in trade. That said, there's nothing I love more than having my antipathy for magical realism shattered by an awesome story like "The Bog Girl."

Briefly, an Irish teenager discovers the body of a young woman who as been buried in a bog for over 2,000 years and begins to date her. What more do you need, right? If I'd read that one-line description somewhere else, and wasn't on a mission to review every New Yorker short story, I doubt I'd have read "The Bog Girl." But maybe I should start doing a George Costanza and do the opposite of everything I think I should do.

Where Russell succeeds here is in two main areas: 1.) Making us really love Cillian, the teenager who falls in love with the bog girl, and 2.) pulling the unbelievable trick making the characters…

Holiday Q&A, Volume 1

These questions come to us from Grace. Thanks for sending your questions!! Answers below:
What is the most thrilling mystery you have read and/or watched?
The Eiger Sanction (book and film) by Trevanian is what's coming to mind. International espionage. Mountain-climbing assassins. Evil albino masterminds. Sex. Not a bad combination. Warning, this is completely a "guy" movie, and the film (feat. Clint Eastwood) is priceless 70s action movie cheese. But in case that's your thing...
What's the deal with Narcos?
Narcos is a Netflix show about the rise and fall (but mostly the fall) of Columbian cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar. Thus far there are two seasons of 10 episodes each. RIYL: The film Blow, starring Johnny Depp; the book Zombie City, by Thomas Katz; the movie Goodfellas; true crime; anything involving the drug trade. My brief review: Season 1 started out a bit slow and I know a bunch of people who never made it past the first few episodes. Some of the acting is a…

A Piece of Advice I Learned From My Grandfather

My grandfather was one of the most learned men I know. He read widely and voraciously, and not just in the sciences (he was a doctor); he loved politics, philosophy, and great literature as well. Whenever he finished a book he would write his thoughts about the book in the front cover and then sign and date it. To this day every once in a while I will open a book from my bookshelf or my mother's bookshelf, or at one of my family members' homes, and there will be my grandfather's handwriting. He was also a great giver of his books; if you remarked that you liked a particular one or wanted to read it, you were almost sure to take it home with you.

Reading is a very solitary pursuit but my grandfather was not a solitary person. He relished having family and friends around him which is convenient because he was blessed with a lot of both. And he carried out his intellectual life in a very "public" way as well. He was, in some ways, an intellectual evangelist. If he r…