Skip to main content

New Yorker Fiction Review: "Ghosts and Empties" by Lauren Groff

Story: "Ghosts and Empties" by Lauren Groff

Issue: July 20, 2015

Rating: $$

Review: I'm so far behind in my New Yorker Fiction reviewing, I should probably keep this short just so I can move on to the next review in quick style.

I do not know who Lauren Groff is but I know she's my age and she's pretty insightful. I've never read a story in which someone so successfully manages to turn a character's nightly evening walk into a canvas on which to reflect on themselves, on society, on life, on gentrification, time, parenting, and a few other things besides.

Every pause between the end of one breath and the beginning of the next is long; then again, nothing is not always in transition. Soon, tomorrow, the boys will be men, and my husband an I will look at each other crouching under the weight of all we wouldn't or couldn't yell, and all those hours outside walking, my body, my shadow, and the moon.

Paul Simon fans will recognize the title "Ghosts and Empties" from the song "Graceland," a masterpiece, and still may not be able to decipher exactly what it means. But does that really matter? No.

This is the story of a woman, a relatively young mother (mid-30s from the context clues), driven out of her home in the evenings by her latent existential rage to walk the streets of her neighborhood and observe the lives of those in her community while she reflects on her own. This is a best-case scenario of a writer looking about themselves for material in every day life. This is literature that deals with the mundane and connects it to the higher questions in life, which is basically what we -- as normal people with lives that exist in a bandwith that spans from the mundane to somewhat entertaining (and perhaps I speak for myself) -- have to deal with every day.

Those of us without religion anyway, must look around ourselves for meaning, and take it where we can, as does the main character in this story. One thing I love about this character is how closely I can identify with her mid-30s voice. She's someone who has seen a lot of life, gathered some wisdom, is perhaps a little world-weary, but knows there is (hopes there is) a lot left and knows she must summon the strength to face the latter half of her life, which will not end well, no matter what happens in between, and make sense of it all and try to leave the world a better place than when she came into it.

Doesn't get the full $$$ rating because there's a certain slightly off-putting hauter in Groff's voice, a
resigned smugness, that makes it sound like the main character is speaking from a perch, if not lofty, then just about a head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd. It's a certain lack of humor and self-deprecation; the main character's faults are only those that she deems acceptable and understandable and within the bounds of her own ego, it seems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Yorker Fiction Review #146: "Three Short Moments in a Long Life" by John L'Heureux

Issue: May 9, 2016

Story: "Three Short Moments in a Long Life" by John L'Heureux

Rating: $

Review: I feel like this is a somewhat tired technique, straight out of Creative Writing 101: write a story consisting of three or four different snapshots or snippets out of a character's life at different ages, sort of like a series of written photographs. Fun perhaps, but strikes me as a bit amateurish. However, I also think L'Heureux succeeds here by pushing it a bit further, playing with the character's tentative attempts at something close to faith -- in childish, adult, and mature adult ways -- and tying all three "Short Moments" together in a subtle and readily decipherable way.

L'Heureux's prose and his frank humor and his ability to glorify and find the meaning in the mundane events and thoughts of every day life, and thereby turn the life of an ordinary person into a drama with meaning and significance puts me in mind of John Irving. As well a…

New Yorker Fiction Review #151: "The Bog Girl" by Karen Russell

From the June 20 issue...

My loyal readers (if there are still any, which I doubt) will know I'm usually not a fan of Magical Realism, which, as you may also know, is Karen Russell's stock in trade. That said, there's nothing I love more than having my antipathy for magical realism shattered by an awesome story like "The Bog Girl."

Briefly, an Irish teenager discovers the body of a young woman who as been buried in a bog for over 2,000 years and begins to date her. What more do you need, right? If I'd read that one-line description somewhere else, and wasn't on a mission to review every New Yorker short story, I doubt I'd have read "The Bog Girl." But maybe I should start doing a George Costanza and do the opposite of everything I think I should do.

Where Russell succeeds here is in two main areas: 1.) Making us really love Cillian, the teenager who falls in love with the bog girl, and 2.) pulling the unbelievable trick making the characters…

Water Review: San Pellegrino 250ml Bottle

Damn you, tiny little bottle of San Pellegrino. So little. So cute. But what are you really good for other than to make me wish I had a full bottle of Pellegrino? 
Good as a palate cleanser after a nice double espresso, I will give it that. But little else. The suave yet chaotic burst of Pellegrino bubbliness is still there, but with each sip you feel the tragedy of being that much closer to the end of the bottle, that much faster.

This is a bottle of water made specifically for the frustrated, for the meticulous, for the measurers among us with a penchant for the dainty. This water does not love you in the wild, on a sunny porch or with the raucous laughter of friends. No...much the opposite. Whatever that may be.

Best drunk in tiny, tiny sips, while forcing oneself through an unreadable and depressing Russian novel one does not want to read but feels one should, on a cold, wet day in December that promises four months of gloom and depression...or in pairs or threes and poured over …