Skip to main content

New Yorker Fiction Review #120: "Who Will Greet You At Home" by Lesley Nneka Arimah

Issue: Oct. 26, 2015

Story: "Who Will Greet You At Home" by Lesley Nneka Arimah

Rating: $$$

Review: From the very first sentence, this story was disorienting, confusing, unsettling, and irresistibly fascinating. I usually do not go for myths and magical realism, but Arimah's world is so vivid and so eerily alike but also un-like our own that once I pushed through my pre-existing notions I couldn't turn away from this often grotesque story.

The actual story involves Ogechi, a young African woman who lives in a world in which mothers must create babies out of everyday materials (mud, yarn, clay, sand, sugar, etc.) and nurture them for a year before the babies can come to life as flesh and blood babies. Ogechi surreptitiously makes a baby out of hair from the floor of the salon where she works, keeping it a secret from "Mama" the keeper of all the feminine power in Ogechi's village.

Even if the thought of a bawling, squalling "hair-baby" who feeds off the hair on her mother's head doesn't exactly light your fire (hey. it didn't mine either), read this story. Ultimately I think it's a profound statement on motherhood and what it means to be a mother, as Ogechi's hair-baby starts sucking the very life out of her, despite all she has done for the "child":

"A mother should give all of herself to her child, even if it requires the marrow in her bones. Especially a child like this, strong and sleek and shimmering."

Ogechi is what some might call an idealized vision of The Mother; so in love with her child that she does not mind that she is losing herself in order to care for it. And the results, while not pleasant, are consistent with the myth: Ogechi inevitably has to destroy her child, literally burn the hair baby, in order to escape it's increasing demands and save her own life, much as, we might posit, a mother must force her child to grow up and learn to take care of itself, in essence "killing" the child and creating an adult.

The thing that makes this story really interesting, in my opinion, is the custom or requirement that women in this world must care for their animate yet not-yet-human babies until they can turn into actual human babies. I have not fully unpacked this yet, but it is tied in with the role of "Mama," who acts as the gate-keeper of motherhood in this village. In order to be a mother, a woman must get Mama's blessing and -- indeed -- pay with part of her soul. In Arimah's world, there is a neat "call and response" folk song that women sing in the village that, in a way, ties all this together:

Where are you going?
I am going home.
Who will greet you at home?
My mother will greet me.
What will your mother do?
My mother will bless me and my child.

Also very instructive and indicative of how we're supposed to "read" this story (at least I think) is the
scene on the bus in which Ogechi sees a mother with an actual human baby; a woman who has successfully passed through the year of "apprenticeship" and now has a real baby to show for it:

"The baby was as plain as pap, but the mother's face was full of wonder. One would think the baby had been spun from silk. One would thing the baby was speckled with diamonds. One would think the baby was loved."

Boom. To me this short, seemingly insignificant passage is the key to understanding this story, even though Ogechi disdains the mother and her "actual" child and their happiness. That is because Ogechi doesn't quite understand what it means to be a mother, and perhaps hence why she fails yet, even with her hair baby.

Highest rating because this story did what real "fiction" ought to do: create a believable alternate universe, people it with interesting characters, and put them into a story with tension and high stakes. It should entertain, frighten, push boundaries, make you a little uneasy, and ultimately give you a new perspective for thinking about your own life and the real world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Yorker Fiction Review #151: "The Bog Girl" by Karen Russell

From the June 20 issue...

My loyal readers (if there are still any, which I doubt) will know I'm usually not a fan of Magical Realism, which, as you may also know, is Karen Russell's stock in trade. That said, there's nothing I love more than having my antipathy for magical realism shattered by an awesome story like "The Bog Girl."

Briefly, an Irish teenager discovers the body of a young woman who as been buried in a bog for over 2,000 years and begins to date her. What more do you need, right? If I'd read that one-line description somewhere else, and wasn't on a mission to review every New Yorker short story, I doubt I'd have read "The Bog Girl." But maybe I should start doing a George Costanza and do the opposite of everything I think I should do.

Where Russell succeeds here is in two main areas: 1.) Making us really love Cillian, the teenager who falls in love with the bog girl, and 2.) pulling the unbelievable trick making the characters…

Holiday Q&A, Volume 1

These questions come to us from Grace. Thanks for sending your questions!! Answers below:
What is the most thrilling mystery you have read and/or watched?
The Eiger Sanction (book and film) by Trevanian is what's coming to mind. International espionage. Mountain-climbing assassins. Evil albino masterminds. Sex. Not a bad combination. Warning, this is completely a "guy" movie, and the film (feat. Clint Eastwood) is priceless 70s action movie cheese. But in case that's your thing...
What's the deal with Narcos?
Narcos is a Netflix show about the rise and fall (but mostly the fall) of Columbian cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar. Thus far there are two seasons of 10 episodes each. RIYL: The film Blow, starring Johnny Depp; the book Zombie City, by Thomas Katz; the movie Goodfellas; true crime; anything involving the drug trade. My brief review: Season 1 started out a bit slow and I know a bunch of people who never made it past the first few episodes. Some of the acting is a…

A Piece of Advice I Learned From My Grandfather

My grandfather was one of the most learned men I know. He read widely and voraciously, and not just in the sciences (he was a doctor); he loved politics, philosophy, and great literature as well. Whenever he finished a book he would write his thoughts about the book in the front cover and then sign and date it. To this day every once in a while I will open a book from my bookshelf or my mother's bookshelf, or at one of my family members' homes, and there will be my grandfather's handwriting. He was also a great giver of his books; if you remarked that you liked a particular one or wanted to read it, you were almost sure to take it home with you.

Reading is a very solitary pursuit but my grandfather was not a solitary person. He relished having family and friends around him which is convenient because he was blessed with a lot of both. And he carried out his intellectual life in a very "public" way as well. He was, in some ways, an intellectual evangelist. If he r…