New Yorker Fiction Review #138: "For the Best" by Anne Beattie

Issue: March 14, 2016

Story: "For the Best" by Anne Beattie

Rating: Meh

Review: Not only am I severely behind in my New Yorker fiction reviewing, but it's also been about a month since my last entry. Ugh. Life gets in the way. I'll keep this short.

I did not appreciate this story at all. Except for the very end, when the "reveal" comes, it was a struggle to pay attention, and I do not have ADD. I just know what kinds of stories I like. My chief complain here is the same as it was with "Save a Horse Ride a Cowgirl," (from TNY 10/23/15; reviewed on TGCB 2/15/16) and that is, the material is uncompelling and a bit inconsequential. At least, if the story is going to be about old white upper-middle class Manhattanites, let it be an exciting story about old white upper-middle class Manhattanites, eh?

I liked "Major Maybe," from way back in April 20, 2015 (TGCB 5/11/16) but that was about younger people. Not that I'm an age-ist or anything (it gets harder and harder to be one every year, naturally), but I am discriminatory against bad and uninteresting fiction.

I've gotta end this here and go do other things.

Comments

Popular Posts