Skip to main content

Coffee vs. Tea

Here we go, folks. We're going to settle this once and for all. Which is better: Coffee or Tea?

Coffee vs. Tea

ROUND 1: The Buzz

Image result for CoffeeThis round clearly goes to coffee. When you're having one of "those days" and someone gives you a choice between coffee and tea, you're reaching for that coffee so you can get back in the game. Hands down.

ROUND 2: The Over-Buzz

This round goes to tea. While the coffee buzz is nice and it gives you that laser-focus you need sometimes, it's very easy to drink too much of it and go off a cliff. You know that cliff; the one where you find yourself staring deeply at your computer like you're trying to see between the pixels, and yet you can't get any work done for the life of you. The one where you find yourself tapping your foot and rocking back and forth compulsively, while you look around and feel like there's something vaguely wrong but you don't know what.

Mind you, you will reach that point with tea, but it takes much, much longer and it's not even that bad once you're there. The "Over-Buzz" on tea is just a mild tension in the head and a desire for water.

ROUND 3: Availability

We are in the U.S., so this round goes to coffee. There's coffee pretty much everywhere now, there's even good coffee pretty much everywhere, thanks to the Starbucks Revolution. And while most places, if they have "hot water" for tea, will put out a courtesy box of Lipton tea bags, who wants to drink that stuff?? No offense to Lipton tea, which is fine, but it's more for iced tea and the tea never really even steeps properly in the lukewarm water.

ROUND 4: Convenience

Again, gonna have to go with coffee on this one. There's no messy teabag or loose-leaves to deal with. It gets "ready" and stays ready for three hours once you make it. You can have a as little as a "shot" of it if you want. With tea, it just ain't the same.
Image result for Yorkshire gold

ROUND 5: Health Benefits

Here, tea wins. Coffee is not "bad" for you, in fact, drunk black, there are actually a good amount of health benefits like increased metabolism, and some others (IDFK, look it up). But the benefits of tea are greater and tea lends itself more to longevity, especially green tea, which is loaded with anti-oxidants. Even if there's no "science" to back this up, I just feel like tea is something I'll be drinking when I'm 85, whereas I can't seem myself still guzzling coffee like there's no tomorrow. I also feel like too much coffee is bad for your blood pressure and for your skin.

ROUND 6: After Effects

Tea again, folks. There is no such thing as "tea stomach" or "tea breath." And while tea is acidic and you can drink too much of it and make your stomach upset (try drinking some strong English Breakfast on an empty stomach!) it's nowhere near as bad as what can and will happen to you if you drink too much coffee, or even if you just drink a moderate amount. You barely notice if you've have three cups of tea. You can't say the same for coffee.

ROUND 7: Tie-Breaker

So it's come to this...the tie-breaker. I've had my love-affairs with both beverages, and still waver back and forth. I just went through a massive coffee phase that lasted about six months and ended just a few weeks ago. This is not an easy call to make. Both of these beverages have their places in my heart and always will. So what is the tie-breaker?

If someone had a gun to my head, or it was my last morning on earth, I'm probably asking for a Starbucks Americano or a triple espresso shot. There. It's out. Coffee wins. I'm American, after-all. And while I love love love my loose leaf English Breakfast tea while I watch football of a Saturday AM, and I love tea culture, and the tea implements, and am a life-long Anglophile, and will ALWAYS revert to tea eventually...I have to say the effects and bold, rich flavor of strong coffee just win me over.

Coffee it is! Although I am drinking a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea right now, just to be fair... I love them both!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Yorker Fiction Review #146: "Three Short Moments in a Long Life" by John L'Heureux

Issue: May 9, 2016

Story: "Three Short Moments in a Long Life" by John L'Heureux

Rating: $

Review: I feel like this is a somewhat tired technique, straight out of Creative Writing 101: write a story consisting of three or four different snapshots or snippets out of a character's life at different ages, sort of like a series of written photographs. Fun perhaps, but strikes me as a bit amateurish. However, I also think L'Heureux succeeds here by pushing it a bit further, playing with the character's tentative attempts at something close to faith -- in childish, adult, and mature adult ways -- and tying all three "Short Moments" together in a subtle and readily decipherable way.

L'Heureux's prose and his frank humor and his ability to glorify and find the meaning in the mundane events and thoughts of every day life, and thereby turn the life of an ordinary person into a drama with meaning and significance puts me in mind of John Irving. As well a…

Water Review: San Pellegrino 250ml Bottle

Damn you, tiny little bottle of San Pellegrino. So little. So cute. But what are you really good for other than to make me wish I had a full bottle of Pellegrino? 
Good as a palate cleanser after a nice double espresso, I will give it that. But little else. The suave yet chaotic burst of Pellegrino bubbliness is still there, but with each sip you feel the tragedy of being that much closer to the end of the bottle, that much faster.

This is a bottle of water made specifically for the frustrated, for the meticulous, for the measurers among us with a penchant for the dainty. This water does not love you in the wild, on a sunny porch or with the raucous laughter of friends. No...much the opposite. Whatever that may be.

Best drunk in tiny, tiny sips, while forcing oneself through an unreadable and depressing Russian novel one does not want to read but feels one should, on a cold, wet day in December that promises four months of gloom and depression...or in pairs or threes and poured over …

New Yorker Fiction Review #151: "The Bog Girl" by Karen Russell

From the June 20 issue...

My loyal readers (if there are still any, which I doubt) will know I'm usually not a fan of Magical Realism, which, as you may also know, is Karen Russell's stock in trade. That said, there's nothing I love more than having my antipathy for magical realism shattered by an awesome story like "The Bog Girl."

Briefly, an Irish teenager discovers the body of a young woman who as been buried in a bog for over 2,000 years and begins to date her. What more do you need, right? If I'd read that one-line description somewhere else, and wasn't on a mission to review every New Yorker short story, I doubt I'd have read "The Bog Girl." But maybe I should start doing a George Costanza and do the opposite of everything I think I should do.

Where Russell succeeds here is in two main areas: 1.) Making us really love Cillian, the teenager who falls in love with the bog girl, and 2.) pulling the unbelievable trick making the characters…