Skip to main content

My Found Danish Chair: A victory over time and impatience

My lovely...all cushioned up.
I don't typically blog about home furnishings but...what can I say. I'm in the business half of my 30s. You get older and you start getting more domesticated, like it or not. Such is life.

Seven years ago, in the Spring of 2010, I found this Danish mid-century chair sitting on the side of the street where I lived in Indianapolis, next to someone's garbage, with some ratty disgusting cushions on it. As one does in a college town (or college part of town) when one is in school, I grabbed it. It was and still remains the greatest "dumpster dive" find of my entire life.

Since the existing cushions were a no-go. I had just the frame of the chair. As I said, I was in grad school. Not exactly "flush." But I figured at some point -- soon -- I'd come across some cool looking cushions or find some in a department store, or find someone to make me some, whatever.

Well, the chair sat in my living room, cuhsionless except for when I threw a crappy lawn-chair mat over it and used a folded up sleeping bag at one point, for four or five years, then in the basement of my next apartment, under the stairs, for two more years.

Many times during this process I thought of throwing the chair away. Many, many times. I went through a massive "de-cluttering" phase in which I Goodwill-ed or sold about 3/4 of my possessions and clothes. But the chair survived that even.

I just had a feeling its time would come. I had a feeling that, if I could just ride out my impatience until a time when I was able to find a place to have cushions made (and afford it), the chair would take its rightful place as one of my prized possessions, instead of living in useless limbo.

As you can see, I made it. After seven years and two moves, time spent cushionless, in damp basements, in storage, and in the dustbin of my consciousness, the chair finally is able to have the life it deserves. I can't call it an "investment" since keeping the chair didn't cost me any money. But I must think that my impecunious Grad School self was looking out for my slightly more pecunious grown-ass adult self by holding onto the chair for so long. Something I'm glad I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Yorker Fiction Review #151: "The Bog Girl" by Karen Russell

From the June 20 issue...

My loyal readers (if there are still any, which I doubt) will know I'm usually not a fan of Magical Realism, which, as you may also know, is Karen Russell's stock in trade. That said, there's nothing I love more than having my antipathy for magical realism shattered by an awesome story like "The Bog Girl."

Briefly, an Irish teenager discovers the body of a young woman who as been buried in a bog for over 2,000 years and begins to date her. What more do you need, right? If I'd read that one-line description somewhere else, and wasn't on a mission to review every New Yorker short story, I doubt I'd have read "The Bog Girl." But maybe I should start doing a George Costanza and do the opposite of everything I think I should do.

Where Russell succeeds here is in two main areas: 1.) Making us really love Cillian, the teenager who falls in love with the bog girl, and 2.) pulling the unbelievable trick making the characters…

Holiday Q&A, Volume 1

These questions come to us from Grace. Thanks for sending your questions!! Answers below:
What is the most thrilling mystery you have read and/or watched?
The Eiger Sanction (book and film) by Trevanian is what's coming to mind. International espionage. Mountain-climbing assassins. Evil albino masterminds. Sex. Not a bad combination. Warning, this is completely a "guy" movie, and the film (feat. Clint Eastwood) is priceless 70s action movie cheese. But in case that's your thing...
What's the deal with Narcos?
Narcos is a Netflix show about the rise and fall (but mostly the fall) of Columbian cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar. Thus far there are two seasons of 10 episodes each. RIYL: The film Blow, starring Johnny Depp; the book Zombie City, by Thomas Katz; the movie Goodfellas; true crime; anything involving the drug trade. My brief review: Season 1 started out a bit slow and I know a bunch of people who never made it past the first few episodes. Some of the acting is a…

A Piece of Advice I Learned From My Grandfather

My grandfather was one of the most learned men I know. He read widely and voraciously, and not just in the sciences (he was a doctor); he loved politics, philosophy, and great literature as well. Whenever he finished a book he would write his thoughts about the book in the front cover and then sign and date it. To this day every once in a while I will open a book from my bookshelf or my mother's bookshelf, or at one of my family members' homes, and there will be my grandfather's handwriting. He was also a great giver of his books; if you remarked that you liked a particular one or wanted to read it, you were almost sure to take it home with you.

Reading is a very solitary pursuit but my grandfather was not a solitary person. He relished having family and friends around him which is convenient because he was blessed with a lot of both. And he carried out his intellectual life in a very "public" way as well. He was, in some ways, an intellectual evangelist. If he r…