Album Review: Haiku From Zero (2017), by Cut Copy

Haiku from Zero - Wikipedia

So this is going to be more of a recommendation than a review, but whatever. Listen to this album. In fact, if you have any taste for synth-pop or electro-pop at all, you should definitely get into Cut Copy.

This Australia-based band has been putting out albums for about 10 years now. I caught onto them in 2011-ish, saw them live twice, even interviewed the band's creator - Dan Whitford - for NUVO Magazine back in Indy during the time when they were on their Zonoscope tour. Zonoscope is another awesome album which you'll get to if you discover you have any affinity for Cut Copy.

Anyway, I lost track of Cut Copy after their 2013 album Free Your Mind, mostly because they didn't have much output after that other than a couple remix tapes and compilations. Recently, however, I was searching around for new music on Spotify and I decided to see what they'd been up to. That's when I found Haiku From Zero, and I will forever be grateful to Cut Copy for delivering this album into the world.

I could spend 800 paragraphs trying to capture the nuances of Cut Copy's sound in words, but it won't work and it would just bore you. If you have Spotify, just get Haiku From Zero and put it on. I highly recommend headphones, so you can hear every intricacy of the music, and there are many intricacies. I also recommend you listen to it while on a run or bike ride (Luke). Cut Copy, as a "new wave" or synth-pop band, uses a lot of driving beats and complicated rhythms. But this is not "dance music" in any sense of the word. Although Cut Copy's earlier stuff definitely tended toward D.J.-ed dance-hall kind of stuff, in Haiku From Zero they've evolved so much that you can't even call them synth-pop any more, and they have kind of a pan-global sound, not able to be pinpointed to one country or continent.

Every single person I've played this album for so far has given me that, "Damn, who is this?" kind of reaction. Trust me, you will not regret spending 45 minutes of your life having your horizons expanded by listening to Haiku From Zero.

Comments

Popular Posts