Breckenridge Brewery

The other night, I needed to grab a couple six packs of decent beer, and I didn't have much time. I was in a beer store I didn't know well, and so the task was daunting. Somehow, I made a really good choice, grabbing two sixers of beer from Colorado-based Breckenridge Brewery: their Christmas Ale and their Oatmeal Stout. 

Christmas Ale -- At 7.1% alcohol this malty, full-bodied ale with just a hint of Christmas spices will warm you up, and fast. I want to say it tastes "thick" but that's not a great descriptor. Let's just say, it tastes "hearty," what you want a Christmas Ale to taste like. 

Oatmeal Stout -- A smoky, dry oatmeal stout registering at a solid but not overly powerful 5% ABV. Really, the chief thing about this beer is the smoked flavor. It's almost -- in a weird way -- like drinking liquid bacon. But it actually works. 

Being my first exposure to Breckenridge, I have no idea what their other beers taste like, but I'll definitely be going back. Both of these beers are what I would call well-rounded, full-bodied, and drinkable. They are flavorful while being unobtrusive, which is...kind of rare in a world where everyone is trying to make their beer so distinct and kooky that they just forget to make a good, solid beer. These not the kind of beers that take over the spotlight, but rather are content to be a part of the cast of characters, and they add more that way.

Comments

Popular Posts