Sposa Bella, 9x12 collage

Sposa Bella
9x12
acrylic, oil pastels, collage; on paper
May 2021

This collage started with the wine label you see in the middle. Although it's from a French grape, and it's a Californian vineyard, a lot of "Italian" stuff started coming out in this collage. I find that happening a lot. 

I rarely, if ever, go into making a collage or a painting with any intentions. I do not, for example, say to myself: "I'd like to paint a mountain stream," or something. That just doesn't work for me most of the time. Print making is a very intentional art form. But you can be much more spontaneous with collage and painting. 

Anyway, the Italian words and themes just pop up sometimes and I go wherever that leads me. Being a writer, I've always been fascinated by words. And, even though I can only really speak one language, I've spent time studying Latin, Spanish, French, and currently study Italian. 

The fact that these words appear in my collages is a function of the fact they are drifting through my head at that moment. Sometimes there might be a deeper meaning behind the choice to write something in Italian rather than English. Sometimes there might not.

Comments

Popular Posts