Un Po Raro


Un Po Raro
11x14 in.
Acrylic, oil pastels, & collage
on canvas
June 2021

In Spanish "un po raro" means "a bit weird" or "a bit strange." I love languages, particularly Italian and Spanish. And I use them pretty frequently in my work. Unfortunately, unless you're a native speaker there's always a risk you'll get the context of the word or phrase wrong; however, with a decent grasp of the language you can be on fairly solid ground. Using other languages in one's work also causes you to run the risk of "Cultural Appropriation," a phenomenon I am completely aware of, and conscious not to commit. In my case, and until I'm told otherwise, I prefer to think my use of other languages comes from an appreciation and fascination with words -- in general -- and other cultures to which I have a close association and familiarity.

This painting started out as kind of a joke. I had some leftover tan colored paint (I rarely waste paint) so I used it to cover a new canvas. Then randomly painted the maroon figure whose head you see in the top left. I don't know what he is...a robotic horse, an alien...not sure. But that's where it started and -- like with all my favorite work -- it just kind of took off from there , without any specific intention.

Comments

Popular Posts