Samuel Adams Non-Alcoholic IPA

I've read some horrible reviews of this citrusy, non-alcoholic beer; however, I am here to tell you this is probably the best NA beer I've tasted yet. 

It's amazing what you can do with hops these days. I like this better than any "actual," full-strength IPA I ever tasted. Or perhaps it's just been too long since I drank real beer.

In any event, the taste of this beer is just superb and would make for an ideal summer beverage. According to the Samuel Adams website they use Citra, Mosaic, Sabro, and Cascade hops in this NA brew. The result is a pleasant, full-bodied grapefruit/orange flavor with just enough of that piney, citrus peel oil, IPA type bitterness to balance it out. Mouthfeel is identical to actual beer. The closest full strength analog I can think of is Brew Dog's Clockwork Tangerine.

At 98 calories this weighs in at way less than an actual IPA; but, as I've found with NA beers, since there is no alcohol (which your body is programed to metabolize first and fast) they tend to sit heavily in your stomach. This NA beer is no exception. As refreshing as it is, I couldn't see drinking more than three of these in an afternoon, any more than I would drink three glasses of orange juice in an afternoon. Cut with some lemonade and mixed with club soda I could see this being like a nice, NA shandy. How many NA beers does a man need to drink in one afternoon anyway?

Comments

Popular Posts