Citizens Trounce Magpies 5-0

If the Liverpool v. Southampton game is your Match-o-the-Week (and...it has the benefit of not actually having happened yet...) then Newcastle United vs. Manchester City was your amateur-hour spanking-o-the-week. I don't think I've seen a drubbing this bad since...well...since Newcastle had their eyes blackened by Southampton way back in the beginning of the season. This was really a sorry state of affairs.

Don't get me wrong: it was a powerful display of athleticism and brilliant, clinical attacking, but by the WRONG TEAM. A penalty in the first minute didn't help, I'll grant you, putting the Magpies at a disadvantage before my bartender even had time to find the game on TV. But Man City began hammering in the coffin nails just a few minutes afterward, and just didn't stop.

I'm still not proficient at deciphering the tactical-level mechanics of a game...what formation they used and what an outrageous move it was to sub Smithee in for Doosen-Watson at hoobledy-hooth minute or whatever...Manchester City were just superior in every way.

It was  apparent every single moment of the game that the Citizens were better athletes and that they wanted it more. They were out for blood; Newcastle were out to collect their paychecks and go home. Every time a NUFC player had the ball they were attacked relentlessly by a Man City player; we had no time to manuever or set anything up. And even when we did we -- as always -- struggled to put a decent shot on target.

On defense? Please...I don't know what NUFC were playing in their third of the field today but it wasn't defense. Not that they had much of a chance to even set-up against the non-stop blitzkrieging Man City attack; Aguero, Nasri, Silva, Toure, am I leaving anyone out? Even reading their names in combination makes me shudder. Against the likes of who? Coloccini...okay, great...Colback...umm, getting colder...and Williamson? Williamson is garbage and shouldn't be playing in the premier league.

A shameful outing all around. I'm not gonna go so far as to say I'm dropping my nascent fandom of Newcastle...cause that would be about as weak as their performance today...but for the first time I was ashamed to be wearing my NUFC scarf at the bar as I walked out in the 55' minute to snickers and looks of pity from the other customers.

I think I'll go do something productive now...because chewing on this particular cud most definitely is not.

Comments

Popular Posts