My Found Danish Chair: A victory over time and impatience

My lovely...all cushioned up.
I don't typically blog about home furnishings but...what can I say. I'm in the business half of my 30s. You get older and you start getting more domesticated, like it or not. Such is life.

Seven years ago, in the Spring of 2010, I found this Danish mid-century chair sitting on the side of the street where I lived in Indianapolis, next to someone's garbage, with some ratty disgusting cushions on it. As one does in a college town (or college part of town) when one is in school, I grabbed it. It was and still remains the greatest "dumpster dive" find of my entire life.

Since the existing cushions were a no-go. I had just the frame of the chair. As I said, I was in grad school. Not exactly "flush." But I figured at some point -- soon -- I'd come across some cool looking cushions or find some in a department store, or find someone to make me some, whatever.

Well, the chair sat in my living room, cuhsionless except for when I threw a crappy lawn-chair mat over it and used a folded up sleeping bag at one point, for four or five years, then in the basement of my next apartment, under the stairs, for two more years.

Many times during this process I thought of throwing the chair away. Many, many times. I went through a massive "de-cluttering" phase in which I Goodwill-ed or sold about 3/4 of my possessions and clothes. But the chair survived that even.

I just had a feeling its time would come. I had a feeling that, if I could just ride out my impatience until a time when I was able to find a place to have cushions made (and afford it), the chair would take its rightful place as one of my prized possessions, instead of living in useless limbo.

As you can see, I made it. After seven years and two moves, time spent cushionless, in damp basements, in storage, and in the dustbin of my consciousness, the chair finally is able to have the life it deserves. I can't call it an "investment" since keeping the chair didn't cost me any money. But I must think that my impecunious Grad School self was looking out for my slightly more pecunious grown-ass adult self by holding onto the chair for so long. Something I'm glad I did.

Comments

Popular Posts