New Yorker Fiction Review #280: "Returns" by Annie Ernaux


Review of the short story from the Nov. 14, 2022 issue of The New Yorker...

This is why I love reading and reviewing the short stories from The New Yorker. I had never heard of Annie Ernaux until about a week ago when I read this short story / snippet, whatever it is, by her in the magazine. I remember finishing the short story and saying to myself: "Hmm. Annie Ernaux is pretty good." 

As it turns out, she won the 2022 Nobel Prize for Literature. So yeah...I'd say she's pretty good. And I'd also say that if it weren't for The New Yorker I'd probably never heard of her. Why is it that the Nobel Prize for Literature isn't a bigger deal, even among pseudo- (wannabe-) literary types like myself? I have no idea, but it's not something I ever hear anyone talking about, ever, other than when Bob Dylan won it for his songwriting. 

To me, great Literature (and here we're talking capital "L" literature) -- at absolute best -- regardless of its subject matter or plot, deals with human emotions, struggles, joys, thoughts, etc. in a way that readers can identify with deeply, seeing their own lives mirrored on the page, and know that they are not alone, and gain some insight into their own lives that will help them, even if it is just to feel some comfort for a few moments. 

In just the few paragraphs from Annie Ernaux's writing here in "Returns" it's apparent that she has the ability to connect in this way with the reader. I don't know if I'll get around to reading more of Annie Ernaux's stuff -- just like I don't know if I'll ever get around to reading Ulysses (probably not) -- but it's possible. 

Comments

Popular Posts