Coffee vs. Tea

Here we go, folks. We're going to settle this once and for all. Which is better: Coffee or Tea?

Coffee vs. Tea

ROUND 1: The Buzz

Image result for CoffeeThis round clearly goes to coffee. When you're having one of "those days" and someone gives you a choice between coffee and tea, you're reaching for that coffee so you can get back in the game. Hands down.

ROUND 2: The Over-Buzz

This round goes to tea. While the coffee buzz is nice and it gives you that laser-focus you need sometimes, it's very easy to drink too much of it and go off a cliff. You know that cliff; the one where you find yourself staring deeply at your computer like you're trying to see between the pixels, and yet you can't get any work done for the life of you. The one where you find yourself tapping your foot and rocking back and forth compulsively, while you look around and feel like there's something vaguely wrong but you don't know what.

Mind you, you will reach that point with tea, but it takes much, much longer and it's not even that bad once you're there. The "Over-Buzz" on tea is just a mild tension in the head and a desire for water.

ROUND 3: Availability

We are in the U.S., so this round goes to coffee. There's coffee pretty much everywhere now, there's even good coffee pretty much everywhere, thanks to the Starbucks Revolution. And while most places, if they have "hot water" for tea, will put out a courtesy box of Lipton tea bags, who wants to drink that stuff?? No offense to Lipton tea, which is fine, but it's more for iced tea and the tea never really even steeps properly in the lukewarm water.

ROUND 4: Convenience

Again, gonna have to go with coffee on this one. There's no messy teabag or loose-leaves to deal with. It gets "ready" and stays ready for three hours once you make it. You can have a as little as a "shot" of it if you want. With tea, it just ain't the same.
Image result for Yorkshire gold

ROUND 5: Health Benefits

Here, tea wins. Coffee is not "bad" for you, in fact, drunk black, there are actually a good amount of health benefits like increased metabolism, and some others (IDFK, look it up). But the benefits of tea are greater and tea lends itself more to longevity, especially green tea, which is loaded with anti-oxidants. Even if there's no "science" to back this up, I just feel like tea is something I'll be drinking when I'm 85, whereas I can't seem myself still guzzling coffee like there's no tomorrow. I also feel like too much coffee is bad for your blood pressure and for your skin.

ROUND 6: After Effects

Tea again, folks. There is no such thing as "tea stomach" or "tea breath." And while tea is acidic and you can drink too much of it and make your stomach upset (try drinking some strong English Breakfast on an empty stomach!) it's nowhere near as bad as what can and will happen to you if you drink too much coffee, or even if you just drink a moderate amount. You barely notice if you've have three cups of tea. You can't say the same for coffee.

ROUND 7: Tie-Breaker

So it's come to this...the tie-breaker. I've had my love-affairs with both beverages, and still waver back and forth. I just went through a massive coffee phase that lasted about six months and ended just a few weeks ago. This is not an easy call to make. Both of these beverages have their places in my heart and always will. So what is the tie-breaker?

If someone had a gun to my head, or it was my last morning on earth, I'm probably asking for a Starbucks Americano or a triple espresso shot. There. It's out. Coffee wins. I'm American, after-all. And while I love love love my loose leaf English Breakfast tea while I watch football of a Saturday AM, and I love tea culture, and the tea implements, and am a life-long Anglophile, and will ALWAYS revert to tea eventually...I have to say the effects and bold, rich flavor of strong coffee just win me over.

Coffee it is! Although I am drinking a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea right now, just to be fair... I love them both!

Comments

Popular Posts